Dec 11, 2008

How MidLife Women Change in Midlife

Written By Ellen Besso
"An increasingly insistent voice from deep within beckons us ...imploring us to explore aspects of ourselves that have been dormant during our years of caring for others and focusing on their needs." Dr. Christiane Northrup

There's definitely an up and a down side to getting older. For instance, who knew that perimenopausal symptoms, some of which, like poor co-ordination, seemed to oddly mimic early first pregnancy, could begin at age 43? I certainly wasn't ready for that and my mother, my friend and my Jin-shin-do practitioner had to tell me that what I was experiencing was perimenopause.

The initial stages of perimenopause seemed okay, but as the process deepened, my energy plummeted severely and I felt emotionally disconnected. As the hormone changes intensified, combining with my particular body biology and habits, I was quietly developing osteoporosis.

After I traversed perimenopause and became a menopausal crone, I began my counselling program at City University in Vancouver. My course started one month after I became menopausal, which I found interesting, and somehow fitting. My energy was more stable now, and the focus of learning skills to help me with my work with women gave my life meaning.

This new stage of my life also coincided with my aging mother, who was developing Alzheimer's by then, leaving her independent living situation and moving to our community, where my brother and I set her up in her own apartment with private caregivers for several hours per week. While I wasn't responsible for her day-to-day care, as my brother was her self-appointed case manager, the initial adjustment to having my mom 'in my backyard' so to speak, was pretty challenging. I was dealing with the stress of my first year in grad school (after about 20 years), and I was very stressed. Having my mother in my in my community meant that she was 'in my face', and old issues surfaced. Over the years it's been a chance to let go and grow for both of us however.

Despite the challenges midlife throws us, I've always seen this time as an opportunity to get to know oneself better. Something in us holds out an invitation to go down deeper into ourselves and to find out what it is that we yearn to do with the rest of our lives.

Through her 'Odyssey of Change' coaching program, Ellen Besso offers Midlife Women the opportunity to navigate the midlife maze and find joy & fullness in their lives.

Personal action plans include strengthening the body-mind connection; releasing beliefs that limit growth; & specific actions to move you forward into your ideal life.

Ellen is uniquely qualified to be your guide because she has personally journeyed through perimenopause and into an inspired life as a menopausal crone! Her professional credentials include certification as a Martha Beck Coach and an M.A. in Counselling from City University.

To find out more about Ellen's work and read articles written by her contact:
http://www.ellenbesso.com or ellenbesso.com/midlifemaze

info@ellenbesso.com 800 961 1364 - N.Am. or

604 886 1916 - Gibsons, BC

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Ellen_Besso

No comments:

Post a Comment